Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Bar Keepers Friend

As I was growing up, my mother was somewhat ineffective in imparting many of her household cleaning lessons to me but one thing that really stuck was the necessity of scrubbing and wiping down the kitchen sink every time you leave it. I am straining toward that goal with my own children (with moderate success) but had been fighting a losing battle.

Our kitchen sink is a builder's grade (junk), formerly white, ceramic-ish sink, and metal pans create hideous black scratches across it which no amount of grumpy, sweaty scrubbing can remove. I've tried spraying it with bleach and leaving it overnight, vinegar in varying strengths, all your classic powdered scrubs, and TONS of the ever enjoyable elbow grease. Nothing worked! I looked into painting our sink - not recommended. I looked into replacing it - we'd have to replace the countertop too and at this point in time I'd MUCH rather go to Hawaii.

Gross right?!

I semi-resigned myself to never having a totally clean-looking kitchen until I saw Bar Keepers Friend in Bed, Bath & Beyond and it sparked a faint memory of someone extolling its virtues. I casually purchased it, completely oblivious to the change my life was taking from that simple impulse buy.



Back at home, I sprinkled some Bar Keepers Friend on my damp kitchen sink, lightly scrubbed, and the black marks magically disappeared - instantly! I was so excited that I decided to try it out on a pan I'd consigned to lost after a quesadilla incident involving an 11 year old. In 3 minutes flat the pan looked brand new, absolutely no vestiges of its fiery ordeal. I took my magic cannister throughout the house, erasing rust rings in the bathroom, coffee stains in white grout, calcium buildup on 6 stainless faucets - all with the slack wristed effort of an indolent teenager.

The places where it's chipped are still there but you can't have it all!
Bar Keepers Friend has become my go-to cleaner for the entire house, I simply cannot use enough magniloquence to extol its virtues - you gotta' try it for yourself!!

1 comment:

Jessy said...

AGREED! I could share with you the SAME photos from my sink! I also used it on some of my dishes that are white, and from Ikea, and made in China, and scratch the same as my sink. I used it, it worked, then I freaked out that it was on my eating surfaces, but then why don't I freak out it's in my sink surfaces. SO I washed and rinsed repeatedly and now I feel better about it. And my plates look better. :) I'm a fan.