Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I love Fall!!

Fall has always been my absolute, most favorite time of the year! There's starting to be a coolish snap to the air (interrupted by bouts of 98 degree weather). The 15 leaves on our tiny trees have turned to a yellowish orange and look like they will drop off during the next massive wind. My kids and I have had our annual negotiations over price, type, price, and price of their Halloween costumes. I have put myself in a difficult negotiating position by creating some (in all modesty) fairly amazing costumes in the past with the unfortunate result that my kids now think that I can make anything. So, when I say that a costume is too expensive-they ask me why I can't just make it. And then I wonder, why can't I make their costumes, I do make a living (albeit a modest one) out of sewing and creating things out of fabric. The sad truth is that I am too busy and I would rather pay $27.99 + shipping (each) to have someone else do the work. The result of all this costume musing...I have been feeling more and more like our whole society is getting so busy that we're missing out on the things that matter most: relationships. We tag friends on Facebook and feel like we've had a conversation with an old friend. We send a quick e-mail saying that we need to get together but we're ALWAYS too busy to actually do it. We want everything yesterday because we just do not have time to wait. I am guilty of this but I don't think that it's the way God intended us to live; we are meant to be in relationships and spend time with other people. My kids need me to have time to just hang out with them! So... I am committing myself (with God's help) to doing just that and I encourage you to step off that crazy train with me and let's do lunch.

No comments: